An outstanding links!
The words were spoken by David Blair, Captain of The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of S:t Andrews, during his visit when the club celebrated it's 75th anniversary in 1984. And it sure is a spectacular course from many aspects.
Falsterbo is a classic example of the original Scottish golfing terrain - links. Sand dunes with sparse vegetation intervenes with lower lying areas where under decades a natural and fine turf has come forth. The natural water hazards, many large sand bunkers as well as depressions and the fast running greens are some of the characteristics of the course, which has for many years constantly been ranked among Sweden’s top-3 courses.
The course is situated in scenic surroundings in a nature reserve area at the tip of Sweden’s south west peninsula, where the Öresund and the Baltic Sea meet. Bird migration attracts thousands of bird watchers, especially in the autumn.
The club was founded in 1909. The two first years of play took place on a course east of Falsterbo. In 1911 a 9-hole course designed by Copenhagen GC’s professional Robert Turnbull was laid out on the present area around the lighthouse, which has become a characteristic feature of Falsterbo Golf Club. The club house dates back to 1914.
In 1930 the course was re-designed and expanded to 18 holes under the direction of Gunnar Bauer. At the same time cattle and horses were banished from the area! Since then the lay-out of the course has remained more or less unchanged.
During 1995-2001 all of the greens and their surrounding areas have been rebuilt to ensure that the course can present the expected challenge even for top players. The architects were Peter Nordwall and Peter Chamberlain, the latter a former head pro at the club for many years.
2010-08-24 Björn Werius